Wednesday 21 April 2010

Burqa's in Europe


In relation to the Belgium government thinking of banning the burqa, does anybody find it ironic that these women hail from countries that, in some cases, make it compulsory (punishable by death) to wear these burqas and now they are living in a country that makes it compulsory to take it off? It is my understanding of democracy and freedom that we have choices, and amongst those choices is me covering myself in head to toe in a black sheet (for a lack of better word).

It is a personal choice, brought on by religion and custom. For me, it is the same as me making the personal choice to wear shorts and a tanktop - which I resent not being able to do in certain countries due to their customs. Why should Europe follow in their footsteps? Shame.

In other news, today is round two of the political leader debates in Bristol. It will be interesting to see if there will be more focus/attack on Nick Clegg/Lib Dem's due to their surge in popularity due to the first round of debates! Too bad I can't watch it live due to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment